Mission & History

Our mission & Purpose

The White Stone Volunteer Fire Department exists to protect life, property, and the environment in our community through dedicated, timely emergency response.

We commit to:

  • Responding quickly and effectively to fires, medical emergencies, rescues, and other incidents

  • Providing high-quality training, equipment, and safety procedures to our volunteers.

  • Engaging with the public to promote prevention, preparedness, and public safety education

  • Continuously improving through teamwork, communication, and accountability

  • Collaborating with other first responder organizations to maximize resources and safety

History

Black and white photo of firefighters in front of a brick fire station labeled "White Stone Vol. Fire Dept." with fire trucks and equipment, and trees in the background.

Answering the Call Since 1947

The story of the White Stone Volunteer Fire Department began in June 1946, when the White Stone Business Association recognized the need for a local fire department to protect not only the town of White Stone, but aid the surrounding communities as well. Determined to make that vision a reality, the group organized a community carnival that October to raise the funds needed to purchase the department's first fire truck.

Before the department even received its first fire engine, its volunteers answered their very first emergency call. While the alarm had been dispatched to the neighboring Kilmarnock Fire Department, the White Stone volunteers retrieved the new fire hose they had already purchased and stored at the local post office. They connected the hose to a nearby hydrant and extinguished the fire before the responding Kilmarnock engine arrived - a remarkable example of the determination, ingenuity, and commitment that helped lay the foundation for the department.

On March 22, 1947, the White Stone Volunteer Fire Department was officially formed and incorporated. Lloyd B. Hubbard, Sr. was elected as the department's first President, C. L. "Pete" Somers as Vice President, Howard E. Dix, Jr. as Secretary/Treasurer, and Harley Reeves as the first Fire Chief.

In April 1947, the department purchased its first fire truck: a 1942 Ford pumper built by Ward LaFrance and acquired from Langley Field. The engine was housed at Jessie Gregg's garage until February 1952, when the department's first firehouse was completed. Built in multiple phases over several years, the station grew alongside the department as new equipment was acquired and the needs of the community continued to expand.

From those humble beginnings, the White Stone Volunteer Fire Department steadily built its fleet, adding tankers, pumpers, brush trucks, and specialized apparatus to better serve the citizens of White Stone and the surrounding area. In 2006, the department purchased five acres of land across from its original station, and in 2017 broke ground on a new 12,500-square-foot firehouse. The new station was officially occupied in March 2018, marking another milestone in a history rooted in community support, volunteer service, and a commitment to protecting others.

Three large trucks parked in front of a modern building, with a smaller white vehicle and a utility truck nearby.
An antique white fire truck with the words 'White Stone Vol. Fire Dept.' on the side and 'W.S.V.F.D.' on the front, parked outdoors on dirt ground with a partly cloudy sky.
A black and white photo of a vintage fire truck parked in front of a brick building. The truck has a ladder, hoses, and firefighting equipment on top and in the side compartments. The side of the truck reads 'Gothic Fire Vol. Vire Dept.' A person is standing near the back of the truck.
Vintage black and white photo of a White Stone Volunteer Fire Department fire truck parked outside a brick fire station building.